An Open House
attracts potential buyers, neighbours, real estate agents and the "just looking" people. You can help turn visitors into buyers
by staging your home properly.
Your potential buyer sees your home for the first time from the curb. That first impression of your home is "curb appeal"
. The expression "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" is particularly true of your home's curb appeal.
- Rake the lawn, sweep the paths, steps and porch.
- Put away toys, bikes, and family favourites that may look like clutter to others.
- Decorate the porch with green plants.
- Weed the flower beds and plant new flowers if the season permits.
- Well before the Open House, touch up faded paint and make necessary repairs.
Make your home look like a model suite--brighten up
- Open blinds and drapes and fill your rooms with light.
- Brighten up the dark spots such as the entranceway, hall, basement, attic and closets by turning on lights, even during daylight.
- Before the Open House, clean all windows, mirrors and light fixtures so they sparkle.
Stage your home with ambience
Help your potential buyer imagine living in your house.
- Create an atmosphere of home - set the table for a dinner with family and friends.
- Light the fire if it's cold. Clean and decorate the hearth if it's warm.
- Decorate with green plants and fresh colourful flowers.
- Put clean and soft hand towels in the bathroom.
- Send the pets, and if possible, the children away for a day's vacation with trusted caregivers.
Entice your visitors to linger longer and relax more
- Put out tasty light refreshments.
- Fill your home with the pleasant smells of home baked cookies or lightly scented candles.
- Banish all odours of pets and cigarettes - these will impact on your visitors far more than any feature of your home.
- Turn off the television and your teenager's music.
- Turn on soft, easy-listening music.
Home Makeover Video
Video to Help You Prepare Your Home for Sale
What Kind of Homeowner Are You?
Take the Home Staging Quiz to find out what kind of homeowner you are.
Home Staging Quiz